The shifting weather in San Jose can mean a number of things, from the changing seasons to flicking off the switch of your air conditioner for the colder months. Of course, whole home comfort is your year-round goal, but sometimes our heating and cooling equipment doesn’t feel like helping us out. That doesn’t mean that you’re predestined for AC repair though.
When your air conditioner fails to work or you notice it acting oddly, there are a couple things you can check on before calling in the experts at American HVAC Inc for AC repair. Here are four troubleshooting tips to try before giving us a ring.
1) Check your thermostat
This is one of the easiest checks that homeowners can do independently, and might solve the issue more than they’d like to admit. Make sure your thermostat is:
- Set to “cool”
- Programmed to be around room temperature
- Working with a fresh battery
2) Look at the air conditioner filter
Dirty filters can cause air conditioners to act erratically, making them shut down without notice and without making a peep. Air conditioner filters have been the cause for many AC repair calls in the past, but there’s no reason to pick up the phone when you can swap it out yourself. Not to mention that a dirty air conditioner filter lowers your system’s efficiency and inhibits airflow.
3) Find and inspect your air conditioner’s switches
The majority of the time, switches to your air conditioner are found:
- Around the air conditioner itself and typically look like your stereotypical light switch.
- At your circuit breaker panel. Find the breaker that controls your air conditioner and figure out if it is in the middle position or the Off position. If it is, cycle the breaker to Off and then switch it back to the On position.
4) Open all of your vents
A common blunder among homeowners is to close vents in unoccupied rooms, but this could actually lead to a need for AC repair. Closing these vents may potentially cause your system to be less efficient and stop working because of added airflow pressure.
If you’ve tried these four troubleshooting tips and still aren’t having any luck getting your system back up and running, it’s probably time to give us a shout. The team at American HVAC Inc in San Jose are here to make sure all of your AC repair needs are met, so give us a call at 408-215-1018 to set up an appointment with us.