While winter seems like it’s already been going on for much too long, its effect on our heating bill is just beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to bring sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Working to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a jingle at 408-215-1018. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy San Jose weather.