Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how frequently your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask American HVAC Inc in San Jose about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the period of time between expert cleanings.
Mostly importantly, arrange routine HVAC maintenance with the professionals at American HVAC Inc. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning efficiently, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at American HVAC Inc about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters regularly and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not need replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your San Jose home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at American HVAC Inc a call at 408-215-1018.