Whether you enjoy winter or desire the warmer months in San Jose, many of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that should be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be replaced. We recommend at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can fix temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—even with your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The professionals at American HVAC Inc can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give American HVAC Inc in San Jose a call to get started. Give us a shout at 408-215-1018 or arrange an appointment with us online.