Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little bad luck, but we sometimes see heat pump troubles in San Jose during the winter time, when they’re required to keep you toasty. While you know the team at American HVAC Inc will forever be there ASAP when you require us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to double check a repair is necessary and save yourself some cash if it’s not. We’ve compiled this checklist of things to test before you give us a call.
- It may sound silly, but make sure everything is set to “on”. We’ve been to numerous calls only to find the thermostat or the heat pump itself is switched off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t switched on, return to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat switched to heat? If yes, raise the temperature by five degrees to see if it kicks on.
- If everything looks correct, check your heat pump switch (if it has one) and check the fuses and circuit breaker that guard the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is an obstruction causing your heat pump to breakdown?
- Try swapping the battery, if it has one.
- Inspect your air filters inside your air handler to ensure they’re not jamming things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and unobstructed?
If you’ve moved through this checklist and you still need a heat pump fix, call American HVAC Inc at 408-215-1018 and we’ll return your home back to the welcoming and cozy place you expect this time of year.